Wednesday, February 19, 2014

God Help The Girl

Hi guys. Happy Wednesday!
I wanted to share some information about a project that recently caught my eye.
I’ll start by letting you know that I’m not a big fan of movies. I know the horror! Who doesn’t like movies right?

Over this past year, we got rid of our television and I somehow lost the ability to pay attention to the same story line for more than half an hour. Oops! Unless I’m watching a documentary or a horror movie, I lose interest quite quickly and I always end a movie feeling like I’ve wasted 2 hours of my life. I do on occasion watch movies if I happen to be with family or if I feel like I need background noise to help me study. While I avoid most Hollywood blockbuster movies, I find that independent films or more creativity driven movies are further adept at maintaining my interest. (Think anything Wes Anderson!)

Lucky for me, I stumbled upon this little project called: God Help the Girl. This description that follows was taken directly from the movie’s website.

God Help the Girl is a musical feature film, written and directed by Stuart Murdoch, lead singer of the group Belle and Sebastian.  It was produced by Barry Mendel and stars Emily Browning, Olly Alexander and Hannah Murray.
Stuart aspired to tell the story of “a better summer, or at least a summer when something happened. It happened to a boy and a girl and a girl in a city roughly the same size and population of Glasgow. Perhaps the canals were a bit grimier, the high-rise buildings taller, the streets emptier when you needed them to be, and the beat clubs busier than the ones around here. But on the whole the city was this one.”
According to Barry Mendel, “It’s a simple story – about the brief moment after you’ve realised what you want to do with your life, before your dream settles into becoming your job, when you’re filled with enthusiasm, meeting like-minded friends and the possibilities are endless.”
The film was shot, edited, scored and mixed in Glasgow over the course of 2012-2013 and will be released in cinemas around the world in 2014.

This is a movie I definitely look forward to seeing simply because I’ve admired Belle & Sebastian for quite a while.  I’m positive the musical soundtrack to the movie will be amazing and I’m really excited about Emily Browning (The Host, Sucker Punch) and Hannah Murray (Skins UK) being cast as the main female characters.


Finally, I love how the creators of the project are constantly including their fans and accepting contributions from everyone interested in creating this beautiful movie. Primarily funded with Kickstarter, it’s the true definition of an indie movie. Nonetheless, solely after reading the character descriptions and the plot, I’m hooked and left wanting more. I wish I could be friends with these characters and I’m looking forward to seeing them come to life on screen. You can find out more about the project on the official GHTG website. The release date for the U.S and Canada is remains unknown.


2 comments:

  1. 1) amen to Wes Anderson because, well, he's Wes Anderson and 2) already in love with the idea of this movie!!!

    ReplyDelete