Sunday, February 16, 2014

Rise & Shine Smoothie

Here’s a quick little smoothie recipe I tried out and completely fell in love with! Laura from Blogging Over Thyme calls it her Rise & Shine Smoothie.

It’s quick, filling, delicious and nutritious!

Ingredients:
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup coconut water
3 dried medjool dates, pits removed
2 tablespoons unsalted (and unsweetened) almond butter (or any nut/seed butter)
2 tablespoons hemp seeds (+ 1 tablespoon for garnish)
pinch of ground cinnamon

Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glass and sprinkle top with reserved hemp seeds.

Although Laura suggests it can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days, I always prefer to make my smoothie fresh, on the day I’ll be drinking it. Also be sure to use a really ripe banana. Bananas with darker patches are digested quickly and have a higher level of antioxidants. Unripe or green bananas can also cause gas and bloating which isn’t the best way to start the day :P. If you’ve never use dates as a sweetener, you’re missing out! They’re Mother Nature’s candy!

Due to some digestion issues , it’s not something I can have every day but it’s definitely an amazing morning treat if you’re in a rush or in the mood for something cool and refreshing.
I hope you try it out and let me know if you enjoy this smoothie as much as I do.  Thank you Laura for sharing this recipe! She has a beautiful blog with amazing recipes and gorgeous photography!
xox

1 comment: